I thought I would give some keys you can do that will help you unlock the magic in your mind. I will always tell you to start with my Magic post because it will tell you what magic really is and help you to clean out your mind. Everyone is performing magic, they just are not performing it for themselves. You have to clean out your mind in order to perform your own magic. A magical mind is open, flexible, has a propensity to seek reason, has a desire to be well-informed, and a respect for and willingness to entertain diverse view points. A magical mind has no patience for ignorance. It has patience for the person who is willing to learn, but no patience for the ignorant mind that have their opinions, beliefs and ideas set in stone.
Magic is all about setting habits. Habits are in the subconscious mind and that is where the magic takes place. When I say we have to clean out our mind, I mean we have to get rid of all the negative habits you have been doing in the mind. Most of your habits probably were put their by someone else. Think about your thoughts. Most people think the same thoughts everyday. Your thoughts are your habits. Are those thoughts good? Change your thoughts and you change your world. Ralph Waldo Emerson said:
“Sow a thought and you reap and action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny.”
Here are a few keys to a magical mind:
- Read! Read a lot and read a wide range. Exposing yourself to unique points of view is a great way to spark curiosity. Well read people know there are multiple ways to figure out a problem. It will also help your view of this world. There is a reason Witches and Wizards are usually portrayed with an abundance of books. We spell words don’t we? Turn the television off and read. Television is for simpletons.
- Don’t jump to conclusions. This is a hard one when you first start out. A magical mind has made it a habit of not jumping to conclusions, especially in the absents of knowledge. Only make a conclusion after you have studied the information and can back your claim with sound reasoning.
- Be goal oriented. Figure out what you want to do and go after it. Get out of the habit of making excuses of why you can’t do something. Just do it. If you have seen the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, that is what Jack’s compass is symbolizing. It always points to what he wants, his goal. In the last one you find out if he deceives the compass he will be cursed. You are deceiving yourself when you make excuses for not doing or becoming what you want. Have an aim and purpose in life. Do what you love to do.
- Argue with yourself. Try to counter your own arguments. Go back and forth in your mind until only the most rationale and strongest arguments exists. This will tell you if your knowledge can stand up to scrutiny. If science would try to prove themselves wrong instead of right, they would be taken more serious by intelligent people. Get out of the habit of looking for something that proves you right and look for information that proves your wrong. If you continually fail to prove yourself wrong, all that is left is the truth. If people in religion would do this, there would be no religion.
- Don’t be polarized. Being polarized means you have a strong opinion about something. Be willing to change your opinion when better information comes your way. Politics is all about polarizing you. Get out of politics. Polarized people are easily controlled.
- Be creative. Create something, anything. Get involved in art. Writing is my creative outlet. Find something creative you enjoy doing and do it.
- Get out of your comfort zone. Making it a habit of doing things outside of our comfort zone will make doing new things very comfortable. You will develop new skills, cultivate self-discipline and you will realize you are not as helpless as you once thought. “Do the thing you fear and it will be the death of fear itself.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Take action. This goes along with number 3, but you have to develop the habit of taking action. Courageously face the fears and challenges in your life. Take purposeful action even though you are feeling anxious, depressed or fearful. You will find that by the habit of taking purposeful action, negative emotions and feelings will no longer be a habit. Let the feelings take care of themselves. When you get good at taking action, the feelings won’t bother you as much. Having a magical mind does not mean you will not have problems. Don’t be naive. Conflict, anxiety, frustration, sadness, hurt and guilt can be found in Witches and Wizards too. Negative emotions will always present themselves. A magical mind will help you have the courage to face these feelings.
I know habits are very hard to break. Science says it takes 2 or 3 months to develop a habit. I agree. In my Magic post I show it will take at least 90 days to break the negative thought habit. Get out of the habit of seeking instant gratification. This is why so many people quit exercising. They don’t see immediate results. Make the exercise routine a habit and you will be amazed at the results. Focus on your goal. Whatever activity it takes to reach that goal, make it a habit. If losing weight or getting in shape is your goal, you will find how easy it will be to keep exercising once you make that routine a habit. You will get in shape and stay in shape. You will also see many more life changing things going on. That is a bonus of magic.
You have to realize that whatever your habit are, that is your default mode. Habits are in the mind, the subconscious. If you were to lose your job today, it wouldn’t take you long to get back to your default mode. You would search for another job that put you back into your comfort zone. We are controlled by our default mode. This is why people who win the lottery or athletes that strike it big suddenly lose it all. They never changed the default mode that was put into their mind before they hit it big. Change your mind and you change your world.